Library Public Space Guidelines
Sanitation and disinfection
- Similar to IUPUI classrooms, every individual sitting down in Library spaces will be responsible for disinfection of that space before and/or after use. This includes computer workstations, tables, chairs, study rooms, etc.
- Disinfecting supplies will be provided throughout the Library public space.
- Library personnel will deep clean public technology each day before opening.
- The overall Library space will be cleaned/sanitized every night.
- Campus provided hand sanitization will be accessible in multiple public locations throughout each floor of the building.
Social Distancing and Mask Wearing
- As with all other indoor spaces on campus, Library visitors will be required to remain 6 ft. apart and wear a mask at all times (unless eating or drinking) while in the Library building.
- Some library furniture and technology has been removed and the remaining arranged in a way to promote social distancing. Please be aware of other individuals in a space before selecting your study space and do not move furniture.
- Where appropriate, “Stand Here” markers have been placed on the floor to ensure social distancing while in line.
- If you encounter an individual who is not wearing a mask please remind them that masks are required on campus and that they may acquire one at the 2nd floor service desk.
- When necessary, signs and red dots (similar to dots in classroom spaces) have been placed on furniture to indicate where to and where not to sit.
Meeting rooms, classrooms, and events. (Guidelines based on IU policy regarding events.)
- Meetings and events larger than 10 individuals will not be permitted in the Library.
- Reservations will be limited to 2 hour time blocks
- Rooms will be arranged, seats removed/marked for use as needed to promote social distancing.
- Users of these spaces will sanitize the space after use including technology.
- Each room’s maximum capacity will be clearly marked.
- The Ashby Browsing Room will be closed when not being used for meetings.
Quarantine of physical library materials
- While print materials are considered a low risk for transmission of COVID-19 due to their porous nature, other items like plastic boxes containing DVDs or board games may pose a greater risk.
- Print versions of daily newspapers and board games have been removed from circulation for the foreseeable future.
- All materials returned via the Service & Information Desk, book drops, or the mail room will be quarantined for 72 hours to mitigate risk.
- Materials pulled from shelves and left out on tables throughout the building will be collected daily and quarantined.
- Course reserves
- Instructors are encouraged to consider digital resource alternatives to physical Course Reserves.
- If an instructor decides to maintain a physical Course Reserve the items will be marked with information for the user indicating that mask and gloves should be worn while using the resource and that these items have not been quarantined.
- All study rooms will require reservations via QR code application (see sign outside door of each study room) or online.
- Large study rooms have been used for furniture storage and will remain offline and locked.
- All remaining study rooms, regardless of size, are single occupancy only.
- A 30-minute airing out time is built in between every new student reservation. Please adhere to your reservation time slots even if another student is not waiting to get in.
- Students are encouraged to disinfect the study room before and after use with provided cleaning supplies.
General Study Carrels and Graduate Carrels
- Semesterly reservation of Graduate Carrels has been discontinued for this year and those carrels converted to short-term reservable general study carrel space.
- Visit our study room reservation page or individual carrels to use our new QR code-based reservation system.
Community Visitors/Non-IUPUI Affiliated Visitors
- Community visitors will be permitted in the Library.
- August 3 - August 16, 2020, community visitors will be able to acquire a computer login. Privileges may be limited once classes begin.
- Shields have been installed at the public service points, including the Service & Information Desk, Technology Services Desk, and Herron Art Library Reference Desk
- Where appropriate "Stand Here" markers have been placed on the floor to ensure physical distancing for lines.
- Individuals approaching a service desk without a mask with be offered a mask. Library personnel will not provide service if an individual is not wearing a mask.
Library Administration Commitment to its Personnel:
The Library building or specific service unit areas will not open or will close under the following circumstances:
- Appropriate shields are not installed at service points requiring such shields.
- There are not adequate disinfecting supplies in both the public and personnel areas of the Library.
- Daily cleaning protocols are interrupted.
- The campus determines IUPUI community illness levels are at a level that require service/building limitations or closures.
- Library administration determines there are not adequate staffing numbers to support a given service.
These guidelines and processes will necessarily evolve as our knowledge of the virus and infection levels change. Our personnel will also regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the guidelines at addressing both safety and service provision and adjust as necessary.