Special Collections Blog Posts

July 13, 1985 On this day, the Ronald McDonald House on the IUPUI campus held a reunion for families who had resided there since it opened its doors in March of 1982. The Ronald McDonald House serves as a home to families of children receiving treatment in Indianapolis hospitals, particularly the Riley Hospital for Children. In its first three years, 1... Read More
July 12, 1994  On July 12, 1994, the IUPUI publication Campuscape reported that the National Art Museum of Sport (NAMOS) relocated to IUPUI’s University Place Conference Center and Hotel. Founded in 1959 by artist Germain G. Glidden, the not-for-profit organization first exhibited art works at Madison Square Garden in 1968. It relocated to... Read More
In this week's Photo of the Week, IU-Bloomington's storied swimming-team head coach "Doc" Counsilman gives his approval of the new Natatorium pool in July 1982. At the time, the Natatorium had been recently completed and the pool filled with water for the first time. The Natatorium pool has been the scene of countless swimming and diving competitions;... Read More
July 11, 1988Gifted and talented children in grades 4 through 10 arrived on campus to commence the first of two two-week intensive-learning periods taught by faculty and staff from several IUPUI schools. Directed by Dr. Miriam Langsam, Professor of History and director of the IUPUI Honors Program, the IUPUI Young Scholars Program exposed boys and girls to... Read More
July 10, 1992  A reception was held in IUPUI's Herron School of Art at 16th and Pennsylvania Streets for the exhibition, “Guerrilla Girls Talk Back: A Retrospective 1985-1990,” which hung in the Herron gallery for a month. A reception was hosted by the Guerrilla Girls, a group of anonymous women who work to call attention to sexism and racism they... Read More
July 9, 1991 On this day, Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Louis W. Sullivan announced a study of the environmental factors that may contribute to Alzheimer’s disease. The study was to be based at the Indiana University Medical Center at IUPUI and the University of Ibadan in Nigeria. Both schools were awarded approximately $2.7 million for a... Read More
JULY 8, 1991 On this day, Purdue University-West Lafayette men’s basketball coach Gene Keady was a featured speaker at the “Youth and Coaches Basketball Clinic” held at IUPUI. The clinic sought to “merg[e] academic and athletic themes, helping high school basketball stars prepare themselves for the demands of being a college student-athlete.” Keady... Read More
July 7, 1969 On July 7, 1969, IUPUI announced the approval of a new four-year engineering program and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree set to begin in September on IUPUI's 38th Street Campus. Engineering courses had been available on Purdue University's Indianapolis-Extension campus since World War Two, but 1969 marked the first time a... Read More
July 6, 1993 On a hot summer day in 1993, over 500 volunteers helped transfer books from the old IUPUI Library-now Taylor Hall- into the current University Library building. After this initial book brigade finished their work, a professional moving company finished the task of moving all of the books, periodicals, and microforms from the old library,... Read More
July 5, 1973 On July 5, 1973, executive director of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Roy Wilkins delivered the first annual Wendell L. Willkie Memorial Lecture in the IU School of Law-Indianapolis building on the IUPUI campus.  Willkie (1892-1944) was a 1916 graduate of IU School of Law in Bloomington. A... Read More

Visit the Ruth Lilly Special Collections & Archives

Hours:
Monday - Friday: 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Other hours by appointment
Exceptions to the Schedule
Location:
University Library 0133
755 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN  46202
Call:
317-274-0464
Updated May 18, 2018 by brown314