October 8, 2014
On this day, campus leaders broke ground for the new headquarters of the Regenstrief Institute, a leader in biomedical information, health services, and aging research, on the campus of IUPUI adjacent to the Indiana University School of Medicine. The building arose on land leased from IU located on 10th Street between Riley Hospital Drive and Wilson Street. It would house fifty researchers, about 165 staff members, and additional affiliated scientists from the School of Medicine and other IUPUI schools, as well as Purdue University.
The Regenstrief Institute and Regenstrief Foundation have a long association with IUPUI. Founders Sam and Myrtie Regenstrief funded a major addition to the then Marion County General Hospital, which was completed in 1975. With the land swap between the Marion County Health and Hospital Corporation which allowed the city to construct Eskenazi Hospital, the university gained control of the former Regenstrief building, which is now called the Health Sciences building.
The new Regenstrief Institute building at 1101 West 10th Street continues a long and fruitful relationship with IUPUI to advance healthcare technologies and outcomes.
To learn more about the relationship, please contact the IUPUI Special Collections and Archives firstname.lastname@example.org.