May 4, 1974.
On this day, Indiana University and IUPUI leaders and visiting dignitaries gathered to dedicate the new IU School of Nursing building on the IU Medical Center and IUPUI campuses. The five-million-dollar building, which had opened at the beginning of the 1973-1974 school year, housed Indiana's largest nursing school and provided what was deemed the best and most advanced clinical and educational facilities for nurse training. At the dedication, Dr. Jessie M. Scott, director of the Division of Nursing in the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (HEW), delivered the keynote speech outlining the future role of nurses in the national health-care system. School of Nursing dean Elizabeth K. Grossman, who had assumed leadership of the school in the previous year, was on hand as well.
The School of Nursing building was the culmination of the transformation of the former IU Training School for Nurses, begun in 1914, into a university school that offered undergraduate and graduate nursing degrees. Under Dean Grossman, the school developed new graduate and continuing education programs to equip nurses to handle new challenges.
To research the history of the IU School of Nursing, please consult records in the IUPUI Special Collections and Archives. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask staff questions.