June 27, 1970.
On this day, the recently opened Indiana University Hospital offered a two-day seminar on economic trends, health-care developments, and medical education to hospital administrators from around Indiana. Those in attendance heard presentations on state economic forecasts from professors in the School of Business. Various persons from the IU Medical Center and deans from the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Dentistry spoke about the latest developments in their arenas. To round out the program, participants toured the new hospital, the first on the Medical Center campus to be built since 1928, when Coleman Hospital for women opened.
Medical Center leaders wished to show off the new University Hospital, billed as the first comprehensive teaching hospital in the state. Building connections to hospital leadership around the state would encourage cooperation and bring a steady stream of patients requiring specialized care to University Hospital.
Since 1970, University Hospital has undergone almost constant remodeling and enlargement to where its original facade (in photo below) is not recognizable.
For records and photos of University Hospital and other hospitals on the Medical Center campus, come to IUPUI Special Collections and Archives. Pick the brain of archivists by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.