December 5, 1971.
On this day, Dean Emily Holmquist of the Indiana University School of Nursing retired. She had assumed directorship of the IU Training School for Nurses in 1957. During her leadership, in 1965, Holmquist persuaded the university to combine the Training School located in Indianapolis with the nursing education program in the School of Education at IU-Bloomington, in which nurses obtained B.S. and M.S. degrees. The new IU School of Nursing headquartered in Indianapolis rapidly expanded its faculty and offerings, developed new graduate programs, and increased the numbers of students enrolled in the school. In 1970, Holmquist broke ground for a new building on the IUPUI campus to house the burgeoning school. She also identified her successor to continue the development of the School of Nursing, recommending Elizabeth Grossman to university leaders.
Holmquist was beloved by the students of the school, who appreciated her calm and thoughtful counsel.
To research the career of Dean Holmquist, please consult records in the IUPUI Special Collections and Archives firstname.lastname@example.org.