August 31, 1970
On this day, The IU School of Law-Indianapolis moved into its new Building on the corner of New York and Blackford Streets.
The IU School of Law-Indianapolis (now called the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law) was the product of a 1944 merger between Indiana University and the Indiana Law School, a private law school itself the product of mergers of various private law schools in Indianapolis dating to the nineteenth century. Autonomous from the IU School of Law-Bloomington since 1968, the IU School of Law-Indianapolis was located in downtown Indianapolis in the Maennerchor Building located at 102 West Michigan Street. Construction on a new building to house the Indianapolis law school commenced in November 1968. At the groundbreaking, the Indianapolis Star reported, former IU president Herman B Wells stated that the new law-school building constituted "a step toward giving the city 'a truly outstanding public university campus.'" The building cost $ 3.8 million.
After the 1944 merger, the law school in Indiana had offered law classes in the evening on a part-time basis as merely a division of the Bloomington law school. But the new building afforded the newly autonomous Indianapolis school space for additional classrooms, offices, library, moot-court room, and more, all to accommodate more students.
Campus and school dignitaries dedicated the new building on October 17, 1970.
The Law School building served the needs of the growing student body, faculty, and staff for a number of years, but eventually the School of Law outgrew it. The school moved into the new Inlow Hall in 2001. The old Law School building then underwent a radical "remodeling" to become the new downtown home of the Herron School of Art and Design, which opened in 2005.
To learn more about legal education at IUPUI, please contact IUPUI Special Collections and Archives firstname.lastname@example.org.