August 29, 1973
On this day, the Indiana University Board of Trustees announced Dr. Glenn W. Irwin, Jr., as the new chancellor of IUPUI. He succeeded Maynard K. Hine in that position.
Irwin, a life-long Indiana resident, had a long association with Indiana University and the School of Medicine. After receiving his undergraduate education at IU-Bloomington, he studied in the School of Medicine and received the MD degree in 1944. After an internship at Methodist Hospital and residency in Internal Medicine at the IU Medical Center in Indianapolis, he served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps before returning to IUMC to finish his residency. he joined the Department of Medicine in the School of Medicine in 1950 as an instructor. Irwin became dean of the School of Medicine in 1965.
Irwin was present at the creation of IUPUI in 1969 and worked closely with Chancellor Hine to lay the foundation for the merged campus. Under Hine, many of the plans for developing the campus were drawn up. During Irwin's tenure as IUPUI chancellor, those plans became realities. New buildings, new faculty hires, new degree programs and initiatives took place. Student enrollments grew quickly. When Irwin stepped down from the chancellorship in 1986, he could look with pride at significant accomplishments in the growth and achievements of the young university. Chancellor Emeritus Irwin remained a regular presence and resource at IUPUI until he died in 2012.
To learn more about Chancellor Glenn Irwin and the development of IUPUI, please contact IUPUI Special Collections and Archives firstname.lastname@example.org.