The Central Indiana Wikipedia Partnership is a group of organizations collaborating to improve the representation of Indiana’s heritage on Wikipedia. The Central Indiana Community Foundation’s (CICF) Library Fund has generously funded the partnership, whose main aim is to increase the capacity of central Indiana institutions to engage with Wikipedia by working together on programs such as staff training, contributing digital collection images by Wikimedia Commons, holding public editing events, and more.
How to join:
We invite interested institutions that serve central Indiana to join the partnership.
Please get in touch with us to:
- Ask questions and discuss the Partnership and Wikipedia
- Become a member!
- Support for events or outreach
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wikipedia and its sister projects like Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons have become essential tools for those wanting to learn more about places, people, and history. Many galleries, libraries, archives, museums (GLAMs), and other cultural heritage organizations have been exploring Wikipedia as an additional platform for outreach and public engagement strategies. Through the work of the partnership, University Library hopes to foster a community of practice to support Central Indiana GLAM professionals with an interest in utilizing and updating Wikipedia.
Since 2020, our efforts have resulted in 262,924 images from 16 Indiana institutions uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. These collections constitute over 250 gigabytes of digitized Indiana heritage. In July 2023, we recorded our 10 millionth page view of images shared across Wikimedia projects!
- View media contributed to Commons from Indiana Memory
- Wikimedians of Indiana User group (established March 2023!)
- Wiki Loves Pride 2022
- Food Deserts and Food Policy 2022
- WikiConference North America 2022 - Indianapolis meetup
- Environmental Justice Editathon 2022
- Afrofuturism Editathon 2022
- Hoosier Women in Art 2023
- Indianapolis Politics and Government Editathon 2023
- Wiki Loves Pride 2023
- Indiana State Fair Wiknic 2023