On This Day in IUPUI History: September 25, 1978

September 25, 1978 

On this day, IUPUI threw a block party to celebrate the groundbreaking for the School of Business/School of Public and Environmental Affairs building. Campus leaders sent out over five thousand invitations to government, business, academic, and community leaders to share in the celebration.

The four-storey, $8 million building to house both SPEA and Business was a long time in the making. Planning took years. IU leaders created SPEA in 1972, incorporating pre-existing undergraduate programs on the IUPUI campus such as Metropolitan Studies and Criminal Justice Education into it. The school began to offer graduate degrees in 1973. Likewise, the IU-Indianapolis Extension had offered Business offerings for many years, but until 1969 students had to finish a business degree in Bloomington. Developing from a tiny full-time faculty, the Business program grew in numbers and breadth of offerings. Until the new building was ready, Business moved from one temporary location to another awaiting the construction of a home.

Campus leaders projected that the Business/SPEA building would be finished in the fall of 1980. In the end, it opened to fanfare in 1981 as a major building block for the IUPUI campus. 

Inset: L to R: Gov. Robert D. Orr, IU president John W. Ryan, and Indianapolis mayor William Hudnut break ground, 1978 UA24-003967

Business/SPEA Building, 1981 281-1091-012

To learn more about the development of IUPUI's built environment, consult IUPUI Special Collections and Archives speccoll@iupui.edu.

Updated Sep 25, 2018 by Editor Name Missing