On This Day in IUPUI History: July 12, 1994

July 12, 1994 

 

On July 12, 1994, the IUPUI publication Campuscape reported that the National Art Museum of Sport (NAMOS) relocated to IUPUI’s University Place Conference Center and Hotel. 

Founded in 1959 by artist Germain G. Glidden, the not-for-profit organization first exhibited art works at Madison Square Garden in 1968. It relocated to the University of New Haven in 1979. 

After exhibiting several works at the Pan American Games in Indianapolis in 1987, NAMOS received a grant from the Lilly Endowment, Inc., and moved to Indianapolis. NAMOS created a gallery in 1990 before the 1994 move to University Place.   

The National Art Museum of Sport's collections included more than 1000 works in bronze, photography, or on canvas created by prominent artists who portrayed athletes in action.  

In 2012 NAMOS—including its archives and library—left IUPUI’s campus. Shortly thereafter, IUPUI converted the University Place Conference Center and Hotel into the Tower dormitory and Hine Hall classrooms. In 2017, NAMOS announced that it had found a new home at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis.

To learn more about IUPUI's history, please contact IUPUI Special Collections and Archives at speccoll@iupui.edu.   

Updated Jul 12, 2018 by setowne