August 14, 1969
On this day, seniors in the medical technology course enjoyed a banquet held in their honor in the Union Building on the IUPUI campus. Dr. Joshua Edwards, chairman of the Department of Pathology in the IU School of Medicine , was the guest speaker and presented each graduate with a certificate and pin signifying completion of the clinical year and the four-year course.
The Medical Technology program in the IU School of Medicine originated in 1939 as the brainchild of Dr. Clyde Culbertson, a pathologist who was the director of the Medical Center's clinical laboratories. It was one of the pioneer four-year baccalaureate programs in medical technology in the United States. Initially, students took their first-year classes on the IU-Bloomington campus, with subsequent classroom and clinical training done in Indianapolis. Professor Culbertson had the students take biochemistry, microbiology, and parasitology with medical students. The program became a part of the IUSM's Division of Allied Health Sciences in 1965.
Presently, the Medical Imaging Technology program is one of several in the IU School of Medicine to train health professionals.
To learn more about the history of this and other programs in the IU School of Medicine, please contact IUPUI Special Collections and Archives firstname.lastname@example.org.