As a data librarian, I provide support for managing data throughout the research process. This includes developing data management plans, documenting research and data processes, data retention and archiving, and facilitating data sharing to meet funder and publisher requirements. As a member of the Center for Digital Scholarship, I also support research more broadly. This support takes the form of consultations, training, resources, and assistance navigating IU research support services. Working with others in the Center, I support open dissemination of scholarship in many forms and the responsible use of research metrics as evidence of scholarly impact. Key goals of these services are to enable equal access to the many products of research and promote research integrity through greater openness in research processes.
My research experience began as an undergraduate at Purdue studying Carolina chickadee communication through song. Prior to becoming a librarian, I worked for nearly 8 years as a research coordinator for cognitive and behavioral psychology research teams focusing on movement disorders, decision-making processes, and Autism Spectrum Disorders. I became interested in digital collections while working on the Bulletin of the Indiana State Board of Health collection at the Ruth Lilly Medical Library.
Areas of Expertise: Research data management, data information literacy instruction, data sharing/open data, citation metrics and altmetrics, evidence based practice, research integrity
Research Interests: The role of data management and curation in promoting transparency, accountability, and public access to academic research. Open science, open data, open access as means to improve the integrity of the scholarly record and advance our understanding of the world.
- Co-creator of the Metrics Toolkit, a resource for researchers and evaluators that provides guidance for demonstrating and evaluating claims of research impact.
- Coates, H., Carlson, J., Clement, R., Henderson, M., Johnston, L., & Shorish, Y. (2018). How are we Measuring Up? Evaluating Research Data Services in Academic Libraries. Journal of Librarianship & Scholarly Communication, 6(1). https://doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.2226
- Watson, D. P., Adams, E. L., Shue, S., Coates, H., McGuire, A., Chesher, J., ... & Omenka, O. I. (2018). Defining the external implementation context: an integrative systematic literature review. BMC Health Services Research, 18(1), 209. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3046-5
- Macy, K. V., & Coates, H. L. (2016). Data information literacy instruction in Business and Public Health Comparative case studies. IFLA Journal, 42(4), pp-pp. .
- Coates, H. L. (2016). Information Literacy Course Yields Mixed Effects on Undergraduate Acceptance of the University Library Portal. Evidence Based Library And Information Practice, 11(2), 192-194. doi:10.18438/B8H059
- Coates, H. L. (2014). Building data services from the ground up: Strategies and resources, Journal of eScience Librarianship, 3(1): Article 5. doi:10.7191/jeslib.2014.1063 Altmetrics data
- Coates, H. L. (2016). Training researchers how to manage data to produce better results, enable reuse, and provide for long-term access. In S. Hoffman (Ed.) Dynamic Research Support for Academic Libraries. London: Facet Publishing. Purchase the book or download the preprint of my chapter.
- Odell, J., Coates, H., Palmer, K. (2016). Rewarding open access scholarship in promotion and tenure: Driving institutional change. College and Research Libraries News, 77(7), 322-325. Access the column
- ACRL Research Planning & Review Committee. (2016). 2016 top trends in academic libraries: A review of the trends and issues affecting academic libraries in higher education. College and Research Libraries News, 77(6), 274-281. Access the report
- Impact Challenge 1
- Open Access Week 2018
- Call for participation: IUPUI Data Catalog Pilot
- Launching the Next Generation Researcher Program
- Next Generation Researcher Resource Fair
- Applying new strategies and evidence to demonstrate the value of public scholarship
- International Data Privacy Day @ IU
- Common approaches to sharing data @ IUPUI
- The value of critical appraisal
- Big Data & Data Science Training series
Heather L. Coates, MLS, MS
Digital Scholarship & Data Management Librarian / Co-Director, Center for Digital Scholarship
Call: (317) 278-7125
Office: UL 1115G