University Library and the Center for Digital Scholarship are celebrating Open Access Week 2014 with a scavenger hunt, using Open Access resources. The rules of the scavenger hunt are listed in the box on the right side of the page. The challenges will posted here on October 20, 2014.
Challenge 1: There are advocacy groups that support initiatives to ensure open access to research materials for students. Please provide a screenshot of the one of those groups's website homepage.
Challenge 2: ERIC is an education database maintained by EBSCO. There is also free open access version of ERIC. Please provide a screenshot of the homepage of the free open access version of ERIC.
Challenge 3: IUPUI publishes several journals using the Open Journal System. What is the name of one these journals? Please provide a screenshot of the homepage of the journal.
Challenge 4: IUPUI has an open access repository for academic publications. Please provide a screenshot of the homepage and URL.
Challenge 5: Using the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), find an English-language Journal published in Romania. Please provide a screenshot of the journal's page on the DOAJ's website (not a screenshot of the journal's website.)
Challenge 6: Find one article that is published by IUPUI's Open Journal System that is about intellectual freedom. Please provide a screenshot of the article and not the search results. Images of search results will not be accepted.
Challenge 7: If you write a thesis or dissertation can go into the answer for Challenge 4? Please provide a screenshot that proves your answer.
Challenge 8: Using Directory of Open Access Journals find an article that is about open education in a journal that is published in French? (Note: the article does not have to be French, it just has to be published in a journal that lists one of its languages as French.)
Challenge 9: Using the answer to Challenge 7, find an article that is about open access and is written by a faculty member(s). Make sure that the screenshot is of the article and not your search results. Images of search results will not be accepted.
Challenge 10: If you collected data as part of your thesis/dissertion which IUPUI repository can you deposit it in? Please provide a screenshot of the repository's homepage.
OA Scavenger Hunt Rules
There are 10 Challenges. All 10 Challenges will be released on October 20, 2014. Participants have until October 28, 2014 to finish all 10 Challenges. For any questions please contact Caitlin Pollock.
- Teams can be one person or up to 3 people.
- Proof that challenges have been completed should be in the form of screenshots.
- Screen shots should be posted to Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook using the hashtag #OA2014_IUPUI
- Please make sure to list which challenge number you are answering when posting your screenshots.
- Use one social media platform (Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook).
- If you are a multiple-member team, please use one account consistently when posting your screen shots.
- There will be two prizes. The first team to do the challenges correctly will win a prize, all other teams that complete the challenges correctly will be entered into a lottery to win our second prize.