- Find Articles & More
- Find Books & More
- Guides to Research
- Information Literacy
- Digital Scholarship
- Patron Services
- Room Reservations
- Interlibrary Loan
- Faculty Support
- Also in the Library
- About Us
- Library Hours
- Library Policies
Meeting the NSF Data Management Plan Requirement
NSF Data Management Plan Requirement
Plans for data management and sharing of the products of research. Proposals must include a supplementary document of no more than two pages labeled “Data Management Plan”. This supplement should describe how the proposal will conform to NSF policy on the dissemination and sharing of research results (see AAG Chapter VI.D.4), and may include:
- the types of data, samples, physical collections, software, curriculum materials, and other materials to be produced in the course of the project;
- the standards to be used for data and metadata format and content (where existing standards are absent or deemed inadequate, this should be documented along with any proposed solutions or remedies);
- policies for access and sharing including provisions for appropriate protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property, or other rights or requirements;
- policies and provisions for re-use, re-distribution, and the production of derivatives; and
- plans for archiving data, samples, and other research products, and for preservation of access to them.
Data management requirements and plans specific to the Directorate, Office, Division, Program, or other NSF unit, relevant to a proposal are available at: http://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/dmp.jsp. If guidance specific to the program is not available, then the requirements established in this section apply. The Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE) also have a data archiving policy.
Support @ IUPUI
We offer three services to support the development and implementation of Data Management Plans.
- Tutorials: View our 20-minute tutorial to jump start your data management plan
- More tutorials coming in 2014
- Workshops: offered quarterly or on-demand
- Meeting the NSF Data Management Plan Requirement: What you need to know: June 2014 (TBA)
- Individual consultations: We can help you draft a plan or review and refine your existing plan.
- Plans can be submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for review. Please send a brief project description (1-2 paragraphs) along with your plan. Allow a minimum of 3 business days for review and consult us as early in the proposal development process as possible.
- sample plans available from DataONE
- sample plans available from UC San Diego
- sample plans available from the University of New Mexico
|NSF DMP Boilerplate_IUB-IUPUI_Fall 2012.docx||30.25 KB|
Last updated by hcoates on 09/04/2014